Time Spent Daily Alone with God
The call on the life a Jesus follower is not doing things FOR God. The call on the life of a Jesus follower is to be WITH God. We believe that everything that God desires to do through your life, He will do out of the overflow of what He's doing in your life as you spend time with Him!
GOD TIME TIPS
- Set a Time: Everything important in our lives we schedule. Your time alone daily in fellowship with God should be no different. Consider it an unbreakable appointment. Let your time alone with God be the centerpiece of your day. Matthew 6:6 – But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
- Select a Place: Find a place where you can be alone and undistracted during your time with God. Keep your Bible, prayer journal, devotional and pen in that place so that everything is ready. During your time with God each day, keep this as a sacred place. Luke 5:16 – But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.
- Prioritize Time with God: Give God the first fruits of your day. Mark 1:35 – In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.
- Prepare your heart: Utilize a daily devotion or a worship song to prepare your heart to hear from God. And pray before you begin. Before you open your Bible, say something like this to the Lord, “Lord, I am here. If You would like to speak to me, I would love to hear from you. If you choose not to speak today, that is ok with me. You are God, and I am not. I will wait on You!” Make Him the focus of this time. Isaiah 6:1– I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple.
- Aim for quality not quantity: Don’t feel like you have to read five chapters per day. Stop at the first word, phrase, or thought that captures your attention, and let the Father speak to you about it. However, sometimes, God may take you through a few chapters in one day. The key is allowing Him to lead you. Psalm 78:1 – Listen, O my people, to my instruction; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
- Posture and Position: Use any worship posture you want and feel comfortable with: kneel, lift your hands, or even fall on your face before Him. Psalm 143:6 – I stretch out my hands to You; My soul longs for You, as a parched land.
The Gospel Prayer
In Christ, there's nothing I can do
that would make You love me more, and nothing
I have done that makes You love me less.
Your presence and approval are all I need for everlasting joy.
As You have been to me, so I will be to others.
As I pray, I'll measure Your compassion by the cross
and Your power by the resurrection.